This guide describes the steps for manually installing an OTA update on a Nokia device. Even though Nokia is not the powerhouse it used to be, they are still a worthy buy even in today’s competitive market. Brand loyalty aside, one factor in its favor is that it offers a clean and complete Android OS experience. Most of its devices have now adopted the Android One program, which apart from ensuring faster updates also gives you a bloatware-free experience. Speaking of updates, they are usually released in batches.
This means that not everyone can enjoy the latest updates at once. In some cases, if users can get updates, they share the OTA update URL for others. In that case, you can easily grab hold of the OTA update package and then install it onto your device. Since the process is somewhat different from installing automatic updates, some users may have difficulty finding the right instructions. If you are one of them, then this guide will surely come in handy. Today we will show you how to manually install OTA updates on your Nokia device. Follow.
How to Manually Install OTA Updates on Nokia devices
There are two different methods of accomplishing this task. The first will use the ADB sideload method while the next calls Apply Update from the SD card. Both of these options can be accessed directly from your own stock recovery. But before we list the steps, there are a few key points worth mentioning. Please go through it once before you proceed with the steps for manually installing OTA updates on your Nokia device.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Nokia device. It will be necessary for your device to be recognized in ADB mode by your PC. To enable it, go to Settings> About Phone> Tap on Build Number 7 times> Back to Settings> System> Advanced> Developer Options> Enable USB Debugging switch.
- Apart from that, make a full device backup. Even though the manual update method doesn’t cause any data loss, it’s always advisable to be on the safer side.
- Next, also install the Android SDK Platform Tools on your PC. This will provide us with the necessary ADB and Fastboot binaries.
- It goes without saying that your device needs to be charged sufficiently too so that it doesn’t turn off halfway during the process. At least 50% is recommended.
That’s all the requirements of this guide. Now you can proceed with the steps to manually install OTA updates on your Nokia device.
Method 1: Manually Install OTA Updates via ADB Sideload
- Transfer the downloaded OTA update package to the platform tools folder on your PC. Change the package name to renew. The full package name will therefore be update.zip
- Now Connect your device to PC via USB cable.
- Inside the same platform tools folder, type CMD in the address bar, and press Enter. This will launch a Command prompt window.
- Run the command below and you will get an alphanumeric code string. This indicates that the connection was successful
- Next, you have to boot your Nokia device into stock recovery. For that, use the following command:
adb reboot recovery
- At this point, you will see a No Command screen with the Android logo. When that happens, hold down the Power button then press the Volume Up button once. You should now be taken to stock recovery.
- Then use the Volume Keys to highlight the Apply update from ADB option and hit the Power key to confirm your decision.
- Finally, run the command below to install the OTA update file:
adb sideload update.zip
- Note that update.zip is the name of the OTA update package. If you haven’t changed the file name as instructed in the first step, enter an appropriate file name instead of update.zip (the extension will only be .zip). After the update is complete, use the Volume buttons to highlight the Reboot system now option and press the Power button to confirm the decision.
There she is. This is the first method for manually installing OTA updates on your Nokia device. Let’s look at the next method for accomplishing this task.
Method 2: applying an update from an SD card
- Before starting with the steps, make sure that you have transferred the update file to the SD Card of your device.
- Now connect your device to PC via USB Cable.
- Open the platform tools folder, type CMD in the address bar, and press Enter. This will launch the Command Prompt.
- Run the command below to boot your device into stock recovery:
adb reboot recovery
- At this point, you’ll see the message No Command. So hold down the Power button then press the Volume Up button once and you should boot into Stock Recovery.
- Now use Volume buttons to highlight Apply update from SD card option and press the Power button to confirm.
- Then select the OTA update package from the SD card and press the Power button to start with the installation steps.
- Once done, use the Volume buttons to highlight the Reboot system now option and press the Power button to confirm it. Your device will now boot into the newly updated OS.
With this, we conclude the guide on how to manually install OTA updates on your Nokia device. We have shared two different methods for the same. Choose the one according to your needs. Therefore, if you have any issues, let us know in the comments section below.